POLYTUF™ HDPE PLASTIC LUMBER
PolyTuf HDPE plastic lumber is custom-extruded from purified blends of recycled plastics - the kind that come from milk and detergent bottles. Additional proprietary additives are compounded into each product to meet the specifications of each of our customers for their unique applications. UV–inhibited pigments, anti-oxidant processing aids, foaming agents and other compounds are introduced depending on the end use and each customer’s performance requirements.
- Manufactured to exacting specifications with tolerances to meet the toughest applications.
- Material is easily machined with any tools appropriate for working with real wood.
- Essentially maintenance free, with exceptional resistance to moisture, fading, insects, splinting, warping and other hazards of environmental exposure common to wood or wood fiber composite products.
- Requires no waterproofing, staining or other similar recurring maintenance other than an occasional washing with soap and water.
- High color stability UV pigment systems which minimize material breakdown from prolonged sun and weather exposure.
- Unlike most wood and wood composite products that quickly fade when exposed to the weather, PolyTuf™ has no wood fibers, retains its vibrant look for years and may fade only slightly over its entire service life.
PolyTuf™ material can be formed in virtually any shape and length required for your application. Tangent has over one hundred extrusion shapes in house, or we can customize a unique shape to meet your needs.
Tangent produces PolyTuf ™ plastic lumber in the most common wood-tone colors including Cedar, Sand, Gray, Redwood, Weathered Wood, Light Oak, White, and Tudor Brown. We can also match almost any custom color to suit your application,
Semi-reinforced physical properties can be achieved by the addition of engineered additives that increase stiffness and reduce expansion and contraction properties. For structural or near-structural applications, Tangent offers PolyForce™ and PolyForce Plus materials with fiber additives.
PolyTuf ™ plastic lumber is well suited for exterior applications where resistance to weathering and minimal maintenance is required, and a quality appearance is essential. PolyTuf maintains its color stability and surface finish over its entire useful service life, and never needs to be sealed, painted or stained.
PolyTuf™ plastic lumber is used in a multitude of commercial applications, and is well suited for casual furniture, playground features, scuff boards and amenities for agriculture, spa & pool, golf courses and more.
These products have greater impact resistance than wood but are also less rigid. Therefore, PolyTuf™ should not be used in any true structural or load bearing application. Applications that would not be appropriate are joists, trusses and decking and deck framing. PolyForce and PolyForce Plus materials are designed for those applications.
Fabrication of PolyTuf™ is similar to wood, but one should be advised that by transforming the product by drilling holes and routing edges, the integrity and strength of the material may be altered.
Inherent in PolyTuf™ plastic lumber is a greater coefficient of thermal expansion than stiffer wood products. Therefore applications should be designed to properly account for this natural expansion and contraction of the material over the length of its use. Please see the Product Specifications for the Coefficient of Linear Expansion, or contact your Tangent representative for more information.
|| ASTM Method
|| Lbs cubic in
| Water Absorption
| Tangent Modulus
| Secant Modulus 2.1% Strain
| Stress @ 3% Strain
| Coefficient of Linear Expansion
|| In/in ° f
| Screw Withdrawal
|| Pounds force
| * Lower density may occur in larger cross sections
For more technical information, please click to view the PolyTuf MSDS Document or the PolyTuf Technical Data Sheet .